Saturday, May 2, 2015

A New Idea

Ever since my earliest memories, I've had an overactive imagination. One of the most prominent memories I have from my earliest days of childhood are of my elementary school playground. Every day my friends and I would meet up during our recess breaks and play make-believe games. Depending on each day we would be great warriors battling through a fantastical world or Jedi saving the galaxy from evil. We loved being wizards, and knights, and a whole assortment of characters. No matter what game it was, the common factor would always be that we were saving the world.


When I was about 11 years old I began reading the book Eragon. I had always loved reading, and I think a small part of me had always wondered what it would be like to be a writer. My imagination loved to run rampant in my real life. I remember every time I would run down the stairs I would jump hard onto the floor at the bottom making a great explosion noise as if I had some power to shatter the earth below me. My brother, Marcus, witnessed this event once and asked what in the world I was doing. I didn't really have a good answer and was totally embarrassed by it. It never stopped me though. I imagined vast walls of water crashing over the mountains. I imagined fighting off monsters, wizards, and evil lords alike.

I suppose I'm digressing from my real point here. I read Eragon and loved everything about it. My dad told me that it was written by some 19 year old guy who had started writing it when he was 16. Being a writer suddenly didn't seem like some far away dream. The idea became a true possibility. Since then I have wanted to be a writer, but it was always on the back burner. I didn't actually believe I could become a writer.

Long story short here (I tend to like to ramble on about details), it wasn't until recently that I've grown serious about writing. I want to write more often and more seriously. This blog will hopefully be a way of doing so. I got the idea from a friend at the library. I'm going to write little quips, snippets, and short stories for myself and anyone who wishes to read them. The only way to be a writer is to write. That's what makes sense to me anyway.

As Ernest Hemingway once said, "There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed."

Hope you all can enjoy! :)













No comments:

Post a Comment